Sunday, November 20, 2005

11/20 newsletter

*** Market
SP500 reached 3-year high this week. Several large mergers made market sentiment very positive. SBC swallowed AT&T, Verizon took over MCI. GE sold its re-insurance business to concentrate on its high profit margin stuff. Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta in an attempt to enter cable business. Google pushed above $400. You can kind of see where the IT industry is going. (I once owned Scientific Atlanta at its very bottom in 2002, but I did not make much money over it. It was my pity.)

*** My Portfolio
My portfolio is at +16% (since 12/1/2004) vs SP500 at +6%. It again has the 10% lead. The stochastic method is more robust than I would imagine. With energy and real estate under bearish attack, the whole portfolio still managed to mimic the market (instead of lagging behind) plus the small stochastic edge built into it. When a sector of stocks is pushed down, another sector of stocks took over the lead. The diversification works out nicely.

--Steve